-->

Dad's Chili Recipe

I can remember the first time I made my dad's chili. I was two and a half hours away from home as a freshman in college. It was the first cold snap of the fall and I could think of nothing else in the world that sounded better. I called my dad at work and he talked to me while I was at the grocery store as I purchased all the ingredients making sure I got the right stuff. Then he talked me through each step as I prepared it. My freshman roommate and I were not the best of friends. I can only remember us sharing a couple of meals together. There was no way I was going to share my chili with her. I ate on that one pot of chili for 4 days straight. My dad's chili was the first of the many things he has taught me to cook over the phone. People ask all the time how or when I learned to cook and I always start with this story. It's one of my dad's favorite stories as well. And since today was the first cold day of the season, I had to make my dad's chili.


Chili
Ingredients

1 lb lean hamburger meat

1 package of McCormick Mild Chili seasoning

1 can Rotel (with juice, do not drain)

1 can diced tomatoes (with juice, do not drain)

2 cans of chili beans (drain and rinse)

3 cans of kidney beans (drain and rinse)

1 cup water

 

Directions

Brown hamburger meat and drain grease. Add the all ingredients to large pot and bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.

Tips:

It is best to drain and rinse both type of beans. Do not drain and rinse the tomatoes.

Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream. Serve with Saltine crackers, Fritos, or tortilla chips.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment