-->

Dear 2012



Dear 2012,

 

I know you have a few days left but I wanted to take some time to let you know that you have been a good year. You brought a promotion to G, a new niece, two great trips to the beach, strengthened friendships, growth, good health and our first home. You’ve been so good in fact that it makes me a little apprehensive to ring in 2013. I hope and pray 2013 will surpass you, 2012. I wouldn’t define myself as superstitious but for some reason year 13 scares me. I am sure 2013 will be just as nice as you but I am a little nervous. Although I am not superstitious, I can be the type of person that “waits for the other shoe to fall.”  I know many of our friends will welcome 2013 with open arms. 2012, you haven’t been so nice to many of our friends and family. They’ve endured major life changes, illness and loss of loved ones.

New Years is one of my favorite holidays of the year. I feel like New Years Eve sets the stage for the upcoming year. I know I wrote about this before but the same group of friends have welcomed the New Year since 2006. I am thrilled the tradition is continuing. We will be sure to send you out in style, 2012. I am so thankful that no matter the changes that have occurred in our lives that this 8 year tradition is kept alive. (GASP, I just realized that we are getting old. This has added to my anxiety about 2013.) I am blessed to have these friendships. I also appreciate that a conscious effort is made among us all to stay focused on each other and what really matters.

What will 2013 bring? Will we decide when we want to start a family? (PLEASE NOTE: I said “decide when to start a family” and not start a family.) Will you bring career changes like this year? Will you bring more happiness than heartache? As I voice my concerns about what your successor will bring, I remind myself that my Almighty is the same yesterday, today and the days and years to come. The date may change but the One in control has not. I need to let go of my controlling issues because let’s face it; the control does not lie in my hands. There’s a reason Jeremiah 29:11 is my favorite verse. It is because it is the one I have to quote the most. I would make it my New Year’s resolution to let go of my controlling tendencies but resolutions for the New Year are one of my ultimate pet peeves. I can’t stand the rah rah of how we are going to do better in the New Year. Let’s face it, most of us don’t even remember our resolutions let alone try by Valentine’s Day. If you are going to make a resolution, make one daily. We are human; we need grace and motivation daily. Besides, this e-card sums up me.


I digress….

So thanks again 2012 for such a great year but the thanks really isn’t owed to you.  Thank you Lord for your blessings in 2012. I praise you for the plans you have for me in 2013. And let me make it a daily resolution to surrender my need to be in control to you.... oh yeah, let me be a little more optimistic too.

 
            Sincerely,
             Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment